Posted on

#GolfCourseReview #StarrPass @JWStarrPass #Golf #Tucson #Arizona

GCR5-Thursday Golf Course Review Greenskeeper.Org

Starr Pass Country Club & Spa

Tucson, AZ

#GolfCourseReview #StarrPass @JWStarrPass #Golf #Tucson #Arizona

Starr Pass Country Club & Spa Tucson Arizona
Starr Pass Country Club & Spa Tucson Arizona
Starr Pass Country Club & Spa Tucson Arizona
Starr Pass Country Club & Spa Tucson Arizona

Reviewed by: Nickesquire, Simi Valley, CA
Played the Blacks (70.7/135/6331) on the Rattler/Roadrunner 9’s in 3H. The weather was overcast and well into the 90’s by the time I was finishing around 9:30.

The customer service was excellent from all encountered, especially Mac the starter and Adam in the Pro Shop. Nice grass driving range that is included with your fee complete with a good chipping/practice green area.

My 1st time here, I was advised beforehand that this is not the course to play to lower your handicap. Even though this course is not long, it is tight with lots of semi blind shots. The 135 slope from the next to the back tees was well deserved. Many forced carries over nativescape hazards, and every hole has red or white stakes down both sides. Also numerous holes where you cannot see the green from the tee, having played the course before would be a huge asset.

The Bermuda tees were mostly good, however several had large patches of hardpan.

Same for the Bermuda fairways. 95% was good bordering on excellent… the other 5% was bare ground, with nothing in between.

The Bermuda rough was lush and penal because the ball usually sat down in it.

The sand traps were a clay dirt mixture that looked good and they played excellent, immaculately maintained.

The mostly elevated green complexes still showed the effects of a recent punching. However, they putted better than they looked, medium speed and fairly smooth. I saw the lines well on these greens and had a good putting day.

This is desert target golf on steroids. A course to play if you want to be tested. Definitely not a course for beginners or someone who cannot get the ball in the air or hit it fairly straight. Recommended with all the above in mind.